Serve 4 people for $4! Man, I can do that - I learned that from my Mom back in the 60s - she could feed a family of five for $1! Incredible - it is called Frugal.
Well, this is where ramen comes in. I have found ramen at the Dollar store for 4/$1. Why not! I don't need 4 to feed 4 though, two is enough. That's 50 cents. Add what veggies you have on hand and create a feast! I also had some leftover seitan, so throw that in the pot! Have a party!
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons grated ginger
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 packages instant ramen (noodles only!)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions or chives
- 2 cup chopped kale or bok choy
- 1 cups shredded carrots
- Left over seitan - if you have it
- Sriracha to taste
- Shredded daikon to top
- Sesame to top
Add all ingredients (except some scallion and daikon) to the top and simmer 10 minutes. Spoon into bowls and slurp away!
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add the garlic and ginger; stir fry for 2 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Add the broth and the water. Bring to a simmer; add the mushrooms and simmer for 10 minutes or until the mushrooms have softened and the broth is flavorful.
- Add the instant noodles to the hot liquid and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until the noodles have softened. Add the scallions and stir to combine. Remove from heat, stir in the kale and carrots, and top with crunchy panko crumbs (see notes) and hot sauce to taste.